[isabelle-dev] Directory layout

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 1 15:36:51 CET 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> The switch to hg makes it possible to adapt some file locations (file
> names) in the Isabelle distribution which have evolved over time but do
> not fit to the logical structure of the distribution any longer,
> according to the following table:
>
>     src/Provers/* ~> src/Tools/*
>     src/Pure/Tools/* ~> src/Tools/*
>
>     src/HOL/arith_data.ML ~> src/HOL/Tools
>     src/HOL/hologic.ML ~> src/HOL/Tools
>     src/HOL/simpdata.ML ~> src/HOL/Tools

I cannot really say much about HOL, you know better about its logical
structure.

Concerning src/Provers, src/Tools, src/Pure/Tools:

  * The distinction of src/Provers and src/Tools is mostly nostalgic, so
    Provers should go into Tools.  For quite some time, we have already
    followed the convention of putting new things in src/Tools.

  * The role of src/Pure/Tools is still unclear.  The difference is that
    these are actually loaded into the Pure image, and all its
    contributing sources should be in src/Pure.  I would say we leave
    src/Pure/Tools unchanged for now until we get a better idea.

BTW, moving files will also affect manuals.  In the newer ones (isar-ref,
system, implementation) I have already used the @{file} document
antiquotation to get a statically checked references to the Isabelle file
space.