[isabelle-dev] position of Hilbert_Choice in the HOL theory hierarchy

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 12:32:02 CEST 2007

Florian has suggested making sledgehammer available earlier in the
construction of Main, before PreList at least. This could be useful
to developers. However, it requires Hilbert_Choice, which must also
be introduced earlier. We previously put some effort into making
virtually all of HOL independent of the axiom of choice, so this
would be a reversal. However, I don't know of anybody who has
actually taken advantage of the AC-free part; in particular, I don't
think that the use of nominal methods requires this any more. Can
anybody comment?

Larry